I’m a huge believer in your beauty ritual being just as much about what you put in your body as what you put on your body. That’s why spirulina has been a part of my regimen for the last few years. I was first introduced to this blue-green algae by my guru as part of my healing process, and I’ve never stopped using it since. Our skin and hair is a direct reflection of our inner health, and the body doesn’t provides nutrients to skin, hair and nails until AFTER they have been distributed to the rest of your body.
Incredibly high in protein and nutrients, spirulina is a huge boost to any plant-based diet. This potent superfood contains so many of the nutrients our bodies need to survive and thrive. Spirulina possesses remarkable nutritional value that results in incredible health benefits, and is loaded with proteins, vitamins, minerals, fatty and amino acids which benefit skin and hair. I’ve listed some of these benefits below:
- Rich in chlorophyll, so it’s great for retaining and restoring good digestion
- Encourages and supports the growth of healthy bacteria in your stomach, thus keeping candida overgrowth under control
- Reduces the symptoms of allergies
- Boosts the absorption of vital minerals
- Decreases inflammation
- Helps maintain brain function
- Helps reduce blood pressure and cholesterol
- Supplies the nutrients needed to cleanse and heal your system
- Reduces the risk of cancer initiation and boosts your immune system
- Provides nourishment for the brain
- Supports the production of energy and blood cells
- Destroys bacteria and viruses.
- Makes skin look toned, youthful and vital
- Treats flabby skin by eliminating the body’s metabolic waste products
- Effective in treating dark circles and dry eye symptoms
- Slows down the ageing of skin cells
- Facilitates faster cell turnover that helps skin heal faster
- Helps speed up hair growth
- Reduces hair loss and helps facilitate hair renewal
- Reduces dandruff and makes hair glossy and stronger
Seriously! That’s a lot of benefits!
I use the powdered form of spirulina, but it’s available in pill form as well. I usually just mix 1 tablespoon in 16 ounces of green juice. You can also cook with it and incorporate it into your diet in many ways. The scent and taste can be very strong, so find which way is best for you and your palette. Beauty is pain though; so don’t let the taste scare you away!
I get my spirulina here, as it’s the least processed spirulina and has been dried in the sun. It’s shipped from India so shipping takes a while, but I can’t live without this potent superfood! By the way, I have not been paid or offered anything. I’m just sharing my personal preference.
Have you tried this potent superfood? If so, what was your experience? Let me know!
Also in Beneath Your Mask Blog
As part of our collaboration with Beauty Heroes, I had the opportunity to sit down with Jeannie Jarnot and talk about why I was inspired to create safe, non-toxic beauty!
I wanted to share some of the highlights from our experience at Indie Beauty Expo Dallas. It was our very first trade show, and we were voted a buyer favorite! This was huge for us, as we met buyer’s from some of our holy grail retailers, so to know they loved us as well is an amazing feeling! Building a brand is not easy by any means, so to see how well Beneath Your Mask has been received is a feeling I can’t even put into words.
Tamanu oil is a rare and special skin healer with amazing anti-aging properties, that I couldn’t wait to highlight it. It’s one of the 19 pure botanicals used in